So i started editing my code files in an extern editor while still using ArduinoIDE to compile and upload. That didn't work so good either, mainly because the process takes so long. All arduino core files are compiled into a file named core.a every time you compile something. Why is that? So i decided to use my own compile & upload feature via the command line..
The script is a win batch file. I will do a Linux one the next days, as i use both plattforms i also need both versions. To get the script running you first of all need the core.a file containing all arduino specific libraries. To get this file, open the arduinoIDE and compile a sketch. Before your actual sketch will be compiled the core.a file will get created. Find it in the tmp folder or simply search for it. To look at the compiler output edit the arduino preferences.txt file and in line 132 set build.verbose=true
Do that editing while ArduinoIDE is closed. Then restart and compile a sketch, you can now see the command line output. If you'll look closer you can identify the tmp folder in the first lines.
Copy the core.a file into a folder of your choice and update all variables in the script. progName is the name you want the resulting files to have as prefix.
You have to rename your *.pde file to a *.cpp file and eventually have to write a header file for it. I didn't have to, just make sure you don't call functions before the are defined. Also there is now a little difference when including libraries. You have to include them like this, otherwise it won't work!
#include <libFolderName\libName.h> instead of just <libName.h>
If anyone has a better approach on this, please let me know.
Here is the file, copy it to a file with.bat extension inside your current arduino program directory. Please make sure you delete the word wraps in between the lines. I had to add them for better code view..
UPDATE: download core.a, build.bat and buildandupload.bat as zip package.
@echo off set arduinoDir=E:\coding\arduino-0021\ set coreFile=C:\DOKUME~1\locomat\Eigene~1\Arduino\core\core.a set sketchDir=C:\DOKUME~1\locomat\Eigene~1\Arduino\superNode\ set progName=myProg set comport=COM3 FOR %%G IN (*.cpp) DO %arduinoDir%hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega168 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=21 -I%arduinoDir%hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -I%arduinoDir%libraries %sketchDir%%%G -o%sketchDir%%%G.o %arduinoDir%hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-gcc -Os -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=atmega168 -o %sketchDir%%progName%.cpp.elf %sketchDir%*.o %coreFile% %arduinoDir%hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-objcopy -O ihex -j .eeprom --set-section-flags=.eeprom=alloc,load --no-change-warnings --change-section-lma .eeprom=0 %sketchDir%%progName%.cpp.elf %sketchDir%%progName%.cpp.eep %arduinoDir%hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-objcopy -O ihex -R .eeprom %sketchDir%%progName%.cpp.elf %sketchDir%%progName%.cpp.hex echo avr-size --mcu=atmega168 -C %progName%.cpp.elf
The script takes all *.cpp files of the actual directory and subdirectories and compiles them to a hex file you can then upload with the batch command.
avrdude -p m168 -b 19200 -c stk500v1 -F -P \\.\%comport% -V -U flash:w:superNode.cpp.hex
Please notice that the -V option specifies NOT to download and recheck the code from the avr which saves some extra seconds.Check all options here.
I have two batch files in my working dir, 'build.bat' which builds and 'buildandupload.bat' which builds and upload code. I write code in Notepadd++ and now use my scripts to compile and upload.
This really simplified everything and helps to save a lot of time!